Last Updated on October 2, 2021 by Auslar Chukwuka Chimuanya
Gnats are not exactly destructive but can make driving in your car uncomfortable. Therefore, you must know how to get rid of gnats in car to ensure not just a comfortable interior but also a healthy interior.
Gnats are flying bugs you want out of your car and sometimes you could be seeing a fruit fly. They make a bad passenger you want out of your car. But getting them out can be tougher than expelling mice from your car because of their small size.
Gnats can also be called no-see-ums because of their small size, and some species bite humans. If you are bitten by a gnat, you will find itchy and irritating red bumps that make you want to scratch the life out of your body. In extreme cases, gnat bites cause allergic reaction.
How to Get Rid of Gnats in Car
In this section, you will learn the simple steps to get rid of gnats from a car. It is cost-effective and you only have to take out time to get rid of gnats in the car in the following ways:
Take Out and Clean the Floormats and Clean the Seats
Your floormat could be making a homely space for gnats to nest and lay eggs. If you use fabric sort of floormats, then gnats stick on them and reproduce inside. Any other woolen or fluffy-like material in your car is also the spot to target for cleaning.
Gnats are quite tiny. If you see one gnat in your car, there could be more just underneath the seats. You want all of it cleaned before applying the recommended solutions mentioned as you read down.
You can also leave the doors open under the sun to heat the car interior. Make sure not to leave the doors open during the dark to avoid inviting a new ferocious guest like a cockroach. Meanwhile, if you have roaches in your car, follow these steps to remove them permanently.
Vacuum Your Car Interior
One of the things you want to do is having your car interior cleaned with a vacuum cleaner. Ensure to use a vacuum cleaner with powerful suction. You can always use any gas station’s pay-per-use vacuuming service.
Some vacuum cleaners can disperse germs and fine dust into the air which can cause allergies and spread infection. Have your nose guarded or use the services of professional exterminators to get rid of gnats in your car.
Vacuuming, nonetheless, can expel gnat eggs, making sure no chances for them to increase in number in the car. You want to leave the vehicle doors open while vacuuming. Make sure to vacuum on a sunny day.
Wash the Undercarriage and Others
Gnats can cling to the car exterior, including the undercarriage, where they make their way inside the car. Attempt to brush off the undercarriage for a possibility of getting gnat eggs off. You also want to look at your wing mirrors, gnats can have themselves stick there, especially if you park the car in an infested area.
Your cargo and engine hood, you want to clean these areas too. Ensure to apply the solutions mentioned in the section below.
Remove Gnats Permanently with Homemade Solutions
You can use gnat-specific remedies to get rid of them in your car. You want gnats evicted as soon as you can to make the car comfortable for passengers and yourself. Ensure to have use home remedies that will not irritate or force an allergic reaction.
Suppose you use remedies such as vanilla, lemon, vinegar or cedar. Make sure to have your nose covered and leave the doors open to expel the strong smell. Of course, it is this strong-scented smell that get rid of gnats from your car.
You can also use environment and health-friendly products to get rid of gnats from your car. Below are the products you can use to remove gnats from your car interior without the help of a pest exterminating expert:
- Yellow sticky trap: bright color attract flying insects, and high quality glue keeps them from escaping. Specially designed for flying plant pests. Fungus pest insect catcher is great for outdoor or indoor plant, especially potted plants.
- Easy to use: the fruit fly traps with sharp bottom can be inserted directly into the soil, avoiding the trouble of tying ropes or hooks.
- Safe and non-toxic: plant gnat traps use bright colors and glue to catch pests, no odors and harmful drugs, no harm to people and pets.
- Warm prompt: the temperatures rise in the summer, maybe causes the glue to melt, and fruit fly paper traps indoor stick together. Please keep this bug killer trap for plants for indoor in the refrigerator for a while before using it. Carefully peel the protective film and avoid film rupture.
- Long lasting: sticky bug traps paper with a very strong adhesive , they are uv resistant and waterproof. No need to replace the houseplant insect catcher until fully covered with bugs.
- Easy to operate, you only need to press catching button, and FENUN mosquito trap will start working
- Press catching button and light button to enter smart band change mode with 7 wavelengths in total
- It can simulates human body temperature to emit heat to further enhance the trapping ability
- Comes with 10 sticky boards, suitable for use in bedrooms, living rooms, etc.
- 5W low power trap is for saving energy, with 4-ft power cable, so you can put it wherever you want
Keeping Your Car Gnat-Free
How do you permanently keep gnats from entering your car?
- Keep the Door Closed. Be mindful of where and when you leave your vehicle door open. When you are not cleaning the car, make sure the doors, including the cargo or trunk are closed.
- Avoid Littering the Interior. When you spill things on your car seats, floormats, etc., you are inviting insects like bugs to nest in your car. After eating inside your car, make sure to clean up every drop of chunks. Apart from gnats, you could be inviting other kinds of insects into the car.
- Mind Where You Park Your Car. Where you park your car also contributes to how gnats find their way inside. If your garage is infested by gnats, ensure to keep it clean. Do not park our car near a dirty area. You are taking your car to the gnats, and they will fly their way in when you open the door.
- Clean Your Car Regularly. Regular cleaning can keep your car gnat-free. You can always get your car through a car wash to have it cleaned thoroughly. Meanwhile, you might be interested in starting a hand car wash. Otherwise, use the services of another cash wash to keep gnats away from your car permanently.
Why do gnats swarm around my car?
A lot of things can get gnats to swam in your car, including water, because gnats can lay eggs in water. Fungus gnat females typically lay eggs in moist organic debris or moist soil, so they can be attracted to water in your car. For instance, when you wash your car, gnats will see the surface like a pool of water which attracts them to lay eggs.
How are gnats getting in my car?
Gnats get into your car in many ways, including cracks between the door and doorframe, when you leave the doors open, cracks between the window and the door, leaving the truck open, and open windows. When your car interior is littered, it can attract gnats inside to feast. Always close your vehicle door and fix all cracks to prevent gnats and other insects from gaining entry.
As you can see above, removing gnats from your car is not difficult. You cannot keep gnats off permanently if you do not employ a regular cleaning practice. Also, hire an exterminator to do the job or expelling gnats and other insects from your car regularly.