You need the best car window tint for heat reduction if your goal is to make the car cooler, and you don’t really care about looks.
Besides, the general purpose of tint on your window or windshield is to reduce heat in the car interior by blocking up to 99% of harmful ultraviolet rays from entering through the glass—Winter Park Tint & Paint Protection.
Window tint types available in the market
There are about 6 common window tints out there. And you’re supposed to make a pick depending on your needs.
Metalized window tints can reduce heat by reflecting it away from the vehicle. It uses tiny (and almost invisible) metallic particles and is embedded in the film. However, they tend to affect radio signals.
The reflection gets rid of UV rays and also reduces glare, protecting your windshield and window from possible fade and crack. Metalized window tints are also considered to give a higher shatter and scratch resistance to the glass.
b. Dyed tints
This type of window tint is made of multiple dye layers designed to block sun rays. The purpose of the dye is to absorb solar heat, thus preventing a reasonable portion of heat from entering your car.
Unfortunately, dyed window tints do not offer the same level of protection, compared to other tint types.
Dyed tints also provide privacy as they are available in an opaque appearance. They tend to fade quickly over time though.
c. Hybrid tints
Hybrid tints are a combo of dyes and metallic particles and don’t result in an overly dark glass. This tint doesn’t also tend to be mirror-like or reflective.
If you’re looking for privacy and heat reduction altogether, you want a hybrid tint for your window and windshield.
d. Crystalline tints
If you don’t have “dark” in mind, get crystalline tints. You almost won’t notice that your glasses have a tint with this option, and they still prevent harmful sun rays.
e. Ceramic tints
Ceramic window tints are often pricier and come with high-quality materials. They contain l nonconductive ceramic properties capable of blocking up to half of the solar heat and up to 99 percent of harmful UV rays. Ceramic tints won’t affect your cell phone or radio or cell phone signals like metallic tints would.
f. Carbon tint
Carbon tints come with a distinctive matte finish that adds to your vehicle’s appearance. It contains carbon and can block harmful infrared rays by up to 40%, preventing your car interior and upholstery from getting hot or fading.
During winter, it makes the interior feel warmer and you save energy with the help of its insulation. The upside is that carbon tint tends to be durable, compared to others.
What to look for when buying window tint
We already understand that you need your window tint primarily for heat reduction. In this case, you’re looking at a window tint with higher TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejected) for better heat reduction. However, before you pay out the money, consider the following too:
1. Your local laws
Your state laws can be a major factor, so look out for the regulations. You want to know the tint percentage acceptable in your state to avoid potential fines or even risk an impound.
2. Harmful rays blockage
The tint you invest in should be able to guarantee even up to 99% ability to block the sun’s harmful UV rays. Not only will the sun affect your vision and driving experience, but it can also cause your car interior to degrade faster due to cracks and fades.
3. Visible Light Transmission (VLT%)
VLT% is a measurement for an automotive window tint. It represents the percentage of visible light that gets through either the film (film VLT%) or window plus film net VLT%. A lower VLT% usually has a darker tint.
4. Custom fit or rolled
A custom-fit is the window tints already pre-cut for your specific vehicle. However, you may also find inconsistencies in this type of window tint.
Read also: a custom-fit sun shade for your vehicle
On the other hand, the rolled tints are not pre-cut, so you have to the cutting and fit them yourself. However, this can be stressful, especially if you don’t have the tools and experience.
Best car window tint for heat reduction
As always the case on this website, we make picks based on what you need and how it has served other consumers in the past. We do not make the picks through sponsors, so we are not any manufacturer’s cheerleader.
That said, below are the best car window tints for heat reduction:
Comes dark, thick, and easy to install. Thus Wimax Limo has all the qualities you need in a window tint.
This film measures 24″ x 10 Ft. Cut it to whatever size fits your SUV, minivan, sedan, etc.
This window tint film comes with an adhesive side. No need for glues.
c. Heat reduction
It blocks up to 99% UV rays and also has 6% Visible Light Transmission (VLT%).
The tint is quite dark but not really 3% dark as described. The installation is easy but pealing the film and cutting it to the correct size is harder, especially if you have an unsteady hand.
- Film Size: 24 Inch x 10 Ft
- Tint film w/ Adhesive side
- 99% UV Rejection
- Visible Light Transmission/Reflectance: 6%
- Film Shade: 3% VLT Super Limo Dark Black
This LEXEN Universal works as described and blocks sun rays well enough.
a. Pre-cut universal size
It comes pre-cut but universal and is available in 5% (the darkest tint). You can also trim it further to perfectly fit your car.
b. Great driving vision
A good sun strip for better vision while giving your vehicle a premium tint look.
c. Heat reduction and scratch resistant
Blocks up to 99% of the sun’s harmful UV rays. It’s non-reflective and scratch-resistant.
When installing, make sure to use a heat gun and professional tint tool kit for the best results.
The application can be tedious and difficult if you’ve never applied it before. Just make sure to read the instructions carefully and prepare. Use an area like a garage without wind for the application and make sure your windows and windshield are cool.
You may have to trim the shade beforehand to fit your window. Most consumers even suggest having lots of soapy water and spraying continually. Avoid spraying excessively though. You can have the squeegee ready and put in place immediately after centering the tint film correctly.
Read also: need to go camping? Leave your tent behind
This is a carbon window film that is really easy to work with. The result is great for any DIY installer.
a. Visible Light Transmission (VLT%)
The VLT% of this window tint film is 5%.
This car window tint for heat reduction is made of carbon film tint.
It measures 20 inches long by 100FT wide.
d. Heat reduction
It blocks up to 99% of harmful ultraviolet light and 79% of infrared rays. It has a TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejection) of 80%.
The film isn’t bad at all. Overall, no negatives—highly recommended for purchase.
- VISIBLE LIGHT TRANSMISSION (VLT) : This film has a 5%VLT - - -MATERIAL: This Tint is made out of 2PLY Premium Carbon Film Tint
- FILM SIZE - This Film is 20" long by 100FT wide
- UV REJECTION % : This film will reject up to 99% of ultra-violet light which is harmful to both your eyes and your skin
- IR REJECTION % : This film will reject up to 79% of infrared rays which helps reduce overall cabin heat. - - TOTAL SOLAR ENERGY REJECTION % : The amount of solar heat rejected is up to 80%
- WARRANTY : This film has a 4 Years Limited Warranty!
Toyoco makes the tint application easy even for beginners. The darkness level is decent and makes a big difference when it comes to reducing interior heat in the car.
a. Heat reduction
It blocks most of the UV rays that could potentially harm your skin and the car interior caused by the sun.
b. Doesn’t interfere with radio signals
This won’t affect radio signals as well since it is not metalized window tint.
If you’re looking for privacy, this window tint is your go-to solution. Even at that, it doesn’t affect visibility from the outside.
d. Scratch resistant
This reduces the possibility of glass shatter and scratching. It also tends to block headlight glares from opposite vehicles.
A good film and recommended for the money. It comes in a nice dark color, just as advertised, and has no negatives. So far, no peeling or bubbling noticed.
- Heat & UV Block: The car film can effectively block most of the UV, care of your skin, and prevent your car interior from aging and fading. It can also block the sunlight heat and create a comfortable indoor environment. At the same time, ensure that the mobile signal in the car is unblocked, ensure the normal operation of navigation.
- Privacy Protection: The window film has a good protection for the privacy of the car. And, while protecting your privacy, it will not affect your visibility outside the car.
- Scratch Resistant: Strengthened glass is stressed, effectively reducing the possibility of glass being scratched and broken. And can block the strong glare of the headlights of the opposite car.
- HD Vision: Driving the car will not be affected because the outer film of dark color, high-definition viewing angle experience. Smooth Signal and Convenient Driving.
- Excellent Heat Resistance: Avoid high temperature in the car, reduce the use of air conditioners, and save fuel. The color is stable and durable.
This window tint is 20% VLT and keeps the car interior cool on sunny days. You should quickly get this summer companion before it runs out of stock.
a. Heat reduction
It does the job—keeps heat away by blocking up to 96- 99% of UV and UVB rays.
b. No use of metal
This is not a metalized window tint, so it doesn’t interfere with signals.
It’s easy to apply before you fit it professionally but matching your window edges and getting rid of bubbles can be strenuous if you don’t have the experience. Just use the right tools and follow the instructions for the perfect results.
- 1.5 Mil Thickness Premium 1PLY Film
- 24" In x 15' Ft (24 X 180 Inch )
- 99% UV Rejection
- Heat Rejection: 50%
- Metal: Non-metallized
This window tint is decent for the price and does keep most of the heat out of the car interior.
a. Heat reduction
It blocks up to 44% heat, keeping your car interior cool enough.
b. Darken windows
Blocks 80% of light and has a VLT% of 20%. Despite this VLT%, you can still see better. It’s even designed to reduce the glare from incoming vehicles.
Generally, tint is not easy to install if you don’t have the experience. Otherwise, no negatives—a great piece to invest your money.
- SIZE: 24 in. x 6.5 ft. - Enough to cover two side windows
- Advanced heat rejection: Helps keep interiors cooler with up to 44% heat rejected
- Darken windows: Upgrade your style with 80% light blocked and 20% Visible Light Transmission
- Increased visibility: Reduces glare, helping you see better and drive safer
- Glare Reduction: 78%.Heat Rejected: 46%