Suppose you live in states like Alaska, Maine, Wisconsin, etc. You want the best windshield washer fluid for winter that will not freeze. Besides, nobody likes thawing their windshield every morning before driving after all.
A good windshield wiper fluid for winter should contain a formula to keep your windshield frost-free to -27°F or a little more. It should also be able to remove smearing and lime clock age. Corrosion inhibitors will also help in metal protection.
The average winter temperatures range from 67.4 degrees F (19.7 degrees C) in Hawaii to a low of 2.6 degrees F (-16.3 °C) in Alaska. Excluding Hawaii and Alaska, the season averages a little above freezing at 33.2 degrees F (0.7 degrees C), based on the NOAA National Climatic Data Center of the United States.
Best windshield washer fluid for winter
You’d be wasting money if you buy several fluids for your windshield to see if they survive freezing. Thanks to us, we’ve done your job—test and review the best windshield washer fluid for winter:
1. Prestone AS658 Deluxe 3-in-1 Windshield Washer Fluid, 1 Gallon, 2 pack
Prestone says their Deluxe 2-in-1 windshield washer fluid is “specifically engineered” to prevent blur vision by keeping the windshield clean to enhance the driving experience. This is true, especially considering that this solution works well in winter.
a. All-season formula
This product does not just keep the windshield clear in summer but also to a certain degree in winter. Our test shows that Prestone Deluxe 2-in-1 keeps the windshield frost free to -27 degrees F (-33 degrees C) in the winter.
b. A powerful cleaner
Has patented cleaning power capable of fast bugs, grime, and dirt removal.
c. Rain beading technology
The rain beading technology does as promised—repels water remarkably, making it even easier to have a clearer view in rain storms.
d. Low-VOC content
Despite being an all-season windshield wiper fluid for winter, it contains low VOC—less than 23.5% VOCs with a 0 degree F (-18 degree C) freeze point.
Read also: we recently recommend a washer fluid for bugs
There’s nothing to complain about. This windshield wiper fluid does its job as advertised, with no issues. However, it will freeze on your windshield washer lines below -27 degrees.
2. Rain-X 5061320 Windshield Washer Fluid 1 Gallon – 6 PACK
You will love this stuff. Just cut it 50:50 with water to get a better value. With the popular Rain-X windshield wiper fluid, you may not even have to use your wipers in light rain as you will still see clearly.
Rain-X is superior to any regular windshield wiper fluid. It cleans better and makes your windshield resist water from raindrops, so it’s worth your money.
a. Streak-free cleaning
Its powerful water beading technology repels water enough to ensure a crystal-clear view, making it the best windshield wiper fluid for winter with greater driving visibility.
b. Keeps the windshield clean
Apart from serving well in winter, it can remove grime, bugs, light snow, salt, and frost.
c. Keeps you clear in winter
With this windshield wiper, there is no need to thaw ice in winter, only to certain degrees though.
Rain-X washer fluid is reliable because it sort of coats your windshield, making water bead off for better visibility. However, it has a little problem washing off but guts.
Read also: your dog scratches your car leather seats? Fix it with this
3. Prestone AS657 Bug Wash Windshield Washer Fluid, 128 Ounces (1 Gallon)
You no longer find the Prestone AS657-quality windshield wiper for winter in major auto parts stores—it’s really the fluid that works without streaking or white film. It leaves a fresh citrus scent on your windshield.
a. Powerful windshield cleaner
Can remove road grime, tree sap, bird dropping, and bugs, in addition to ensuring clear vision in winter.
Will stop water from blocking visibility in light rain, thanks to its advanced deading technology made for streak-free driving visibility.
The only con is that the bottle mouth is not wide. You’d have to use a cup to pour in the windshield washer fluid to avoid spillage. But if you have precision pour, you don’t require a cup or container.
- Prestone AS-657 Windshield Washer, 1 gal, Bottle, Clear Green, Liquid
4. Qwix Mix Windshield Washer Fluid Concentrate, 1 Bottle Makes 32 Gallons, 1/4 oz. Makes 1 Gallon 100% Biodegradable
Qwix Mix is one of the best windshield washer fluids for winter. Just add a pre-measured amount of the fluid into your reservoir. Fill the reservoir with water and watch it repel not just raindrops but freezing in certain winter temperatures.
The small fluid container can make sufficient fluid gallons, so it’s really compact for your road trip.
a. Sizeable bottle
The bottle size makes it easy to measure. Just squeeze 1/4 ounce in your reservoir for 1 gallon of this windshield washer fluid.
The quality is what you get from the factory, and is consistent in wiping without leaving streaks.
c. Won’t freeze in winter
You need to add methanol for wintertime blends to prevent freezing. Refer to the mixing chart on the back of the label for guidance.
The issue with this winter windshield washer fluid is that the gauge can’t really be lowered when you begin from a full bottle.
Secondly, make sure to wear gloves because it leaves stains. It’s a concentrate anyway, so the stain is normal.
Lastly, the bottle is not very intuitive to use. You need to be careful not to spill when portioning the right amount of mixture.
- Repels water while driving for a clearer view. Helps prevent and remove dirt, road filth and bird droppings for a safer view.
- Easy-to-measure bottle, just squeeze 1/4 oz. in the dosage reservoir to make 1 gallon of windshield washer fluid.
- Make it like the factory does, consistent quality that wipes to a streak-free shine.
- Each 8 oz. bottle makes 32 gallons of windshield washer fluid. jugs.
- Add methanol for wintertime blends using our easy to read mixing chart on the back of the label.
5. Aqua Charge Windshield Washer Ultra Concentrate, 1 Bottle Makes 55 gallons of Finished Summer Product, Simply Add Methanol for a Winter Blend down to -20F
If you’re looking for an inexpensive way to have windshield washer fluid for winter, the Aqua Charge ultra concentrate is your go-to solution—you only spend pennies per gallon. You just have to use the correct amount and prevent spills, which will stain.
a. Made for wintertime
Normally, this windshield washer fluid will freeze at 32 degrees F. However, adding 13 gallons of Methanol per 55 gallons will increase the freezing point to -20 degrees F, making it reliable in winter.
b. 55 gallons per bottle
A bottle of this winter washer fluid will give you 55 gallons. If it reads .5 oz, convert it to ml (14.7ml) and use that to make a gallon without a problem.
c. Consistent quality
Works like what you buy from the factory. Has consistent quality and color, and wipes your windshield without streaks.
d. Enhances visibility
Its proprietary ingredients can get rid of bug residue, grime, bird droppings, and tree sap from your windshield.
This winter windshield wiper fluid will stain your hands, otherwise, there are no complaints about it. It’s concentrated, so it’ll stain your hands temporarily. The solution is to avoid spilling it or wear gloves.
- One bottle of aqua charge makes 55 gallons of premium washer fluid
- Cost effective, only pennies per gallon
- Make it like the factory does, consistent quality and color, wipes to a streak-free shine
- Formulated with proprietary ingredients that remove bug residue, road filth, bird droppings and tree sap from windshields
- Will freeze at 32°F, add 13 gallons of Methanol per 55 gallons of Aqua Charge for -20°F freezing point
Read also: Aluminum radiator? Best coolant to use
Above are our picks, and we promise you won’t be making a winter mistake buying any of the recommended, reviewed wiper fluids for winter windshield. However, do not expect the product to work beyond expectations.
- 10 Pros and Cons of Owning a Diesel Truck - March 27, 2023
- What to Do After Replacing Oxygen Sensor - March 21, 2023
- 6 Reasons Car Running Worse After New 02 Sensor Fixed - March 20, 2023